Saturday, October 15, 2005

One more stab in the back

I read a recent report which said that Eau Claire, Wisconsin has higher prices for medical services than anywhere in the country. I have to agree with that. In fact, I found out the hard way that this is more than true. I went in to a local clinic because I had a fainting spell due to my low blood sugar. I asked for a diabetes test and gave the doctor my log of blood sugar readings from the last year. Well, to make a long story short, the doctor sends me to the hospitol to get heart tests and brain scans and stuff. I decided to stop going to this clinic because they wanted me to have more of these unnecessary tests. About a month later I get a bill in the mail for several thousand dollars. Never once did they tell me how much any of this was going to cost or give me a choice before they told me to get these tests. So, now I have another bill collector after me in addition to the student loan rip-off that I wrote about earlier. Insurance is worthless, they only pay what they think something should cost and then leave you to fend for yourself. When you have doctors and clinics ripping off people, how are you supposed to protect yourself? My only means of protest is to not pay the bill.

No comments: